What It's About

Welcome to my blog! I ruminate on random thoughts rattling around in my brain. Subjects range from reality TV to current events and everything in between. Whether you agree with me or not, I welcome your comments. God gave you the ability to think for yourself, and this country was founded based on the right to have your own opinion. Who am I to question that? Hope you enjoy! And, if you like to shop on the internet, or have always wanted to try, please feel free to click on one of the banners on the left. Do admit I get a small commission for anything you buy through the links. Appreciate it if you do decide to buy something!

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Things That Make Me Happy

Since this is the time of year most folks tend to reflect on the past, thought I'd rerun this post from earlier this year. Gonna add a few more, too. Hope you enjoy and maybe it will trigger some happy thoughts in your noggin, too:

Thought I'd list a few things that make me smile just so y'all won't think I'm not a happy person. Maybe some of these will make you smile, too.

  • Watching my wife go all out every time she gets a new interest.
  • Seeing my kids get excited about anything. One of my favorite pictures of my daughter is her holding up her first cheerleading medal.
  • Listening to children play outside.
  • Sitting in the woods or on the water not caring if anything comes by or bites. Listening to nature is a beautiful thing and it's something most folks (myself included) don't do enough.
  • Watching fireflies in the summertime.
  • Watching snow fall. Not a sideways-blowin' blizzard but a gentle snow fall.
  • Grandmama's apple pie. She doesn't cook much anymore, but she will always bake one whenever I visit. My uncle says he wishes I would visit more often.
  • Getting a new tattoo (after it's finished).
  • Calvin and Hobbs. Wish they would come back.
  • The Far Side. Ditto. Said it before, will say it again. Gary Larson is just a flat-out genius.
  • Hearing the University of Alabama's Million Dollar Band play "Yea, Alabama" during the pre-game. Still get goosebumps every time they play the opening slowly towards each side of the stadium whether I hear it in person, on the radio or on TV.
  • Listening to Jerry Clower tell a story. Even though I have most of his stories memorized, they still bring a smile to my face just about every time.
  • Listening to Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. One of the all time greats. Awesome lyrics and two great guitar solos. For what it's worth, think the second one is the greatest in rock and roll history.
  • Making new friends.
  • Talking to old friends.
  • Realizing new friends are now old friends.
  • Finding an old friend on Facebook haven't talked to in years but think about often.
  • Getting pictures my kids draw for me. Carry some of them around in my day planner, which is about the only thing I use it for nowadays.
  • Watching my kids open their Christmas presents.
  • Actually surprising my wife with her Christmas presents. (She can usually guess what they are)
  • Realizing what a wonderful country we live in. We have elections every year and no one ever gets thrown in jail, terrorized or killed by government troops just because of the vote they cast. You can worship just about any way you want. And, for the most part, you have the freedom to say purty much anything you like. Don't mean people have to agree with you, but you can still say and believe just about anything you want. Thank you, Veterans!
  • Thinking about Jesus being born then dying for my sins (yours, too).

Well, that's just a few things that make me smile. Purposely left out most religious references but it ain't cuz they don't make me smile. Just preach enough on here.

I realize most of you probably ain't Bama fans so the Alabama thing probably don't mean much to you. But, hope your fight song makes you feel the same way, no matter who you may root for. It's more about the sentiment than the song.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Haha on the Alabama thing..... but I know what you mean. It's like the eagle flying around Jordan-Hare before the game. Makes me smile and cry at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lucky...I enjoy both the Yea Alabama thing...seeing as I used to do it on game day. And the eagle at Jordon-Hare gives me goosebumps on top of goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete