What It's About

Welcome to my blog! I ruminate on random thoughts rattling around in my brain. Subjects range from reality TV to current events and everything in between. Whether you agree with me or not, I welcome your comments. God gave you the ability to think for yourself, and this country was founded based on the right to have your own opinion. Who am I to question that? Hope you enjoy! And, if you like to shop on the internet, or have always wanted to try, please feel free to click on one of the banners on the left. Do admit I get a small commission for anything you buy through the links. Appreciate it if you do decide to buy something!

Monday, October 26, 2009

Childhood Memories

Axl Rose has a song about childhood memories and have had a few of those today. Went to help clean out my parents' house this morning. No, nothing happened to them. They have decided to move out after almost 30 years so my father won't have to navigate the stairs anymore.

Went out on the back deck and a flood of memories came to me while I was looking at the woods and the creek. Have talked before about how great memories can be and how one person's memories can trigger yours. Thought I would share a few I had today. More for the cathartic effect if nothing else. Anyway, here we go:
  • My sister and I wearing roller skates the first time we went there. Was a little difficult going up and down the steps but we made it somehow without breaking our necks;
  • Trying to restore the tree house with my friend Roger. We were going to use it as the proverbial club house. Ended up using the storage space/cellar under the house instead;
  • The various business ventures he and I came up with. Never made the first dime off any of them. But, wasn't surprised when I found out he has his own business now;
  • Many days playing football, basketball, and riding bikes with my various friends;
  • Many long conversations with good friends;
  • Listening to Pink Floyd alone in the dark;
  • Playing Atari at my friend Michael's house;
  • His sister taking us to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show for the first time. Can still remember seeing women in bustiers for the first time;
  • Watching M*A*S*H on my little black and white TV after the late news;
  • Being grateful Michael had a VCR to tape the final episode. We had a Jr. Achievement meeting that night and couldn't watch it as it aired;
  • Having Christmas at home a couple of days before Christmas every year cuz we spent Christmas Day at my grandparents;
  • Hearing the PA from the 13-14 little league field during baseball season. That old man had a true cigarette and whiskey voice. Not even sure he took the cigarette out of his mouth while he was announcing;
  • Mr. Mayhall, the band director, speaking Swahili to us (at least his version of it) when we wouldn't listen to what he was trying to tell us;
  • My father asking if we were going to have twins when we told my parents Stacey was pregnant. We had no way of knowing at the time that we were. Still haven't figured out what made him ask that.

There are more I could list but am getting tired of typing and you are probably getting bored, too. They actually move next week so will probably have more when I go over to help with that. May not share those, though. Anyway, as my dad put it today, at least we're not having to do this cuz someone died.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment