What It's About

Welcome to my blog! I ruminate on random thoughts rattling around in my brain. Subjects range from reality TV to current events and everything in between. Whether you agree with me or not, I welcome your comments. God gave you the ability to think for yourself, and this country was founded based on the right to have your own opinion. Who am I to question that? Hope you enjoy! And, if you like to shop on the internet, or have always wanted to try, please feel free to click on one of the banners on the left. Do admit I get a small commission for anything you buy through the links. Appreciate it if you do decide to buy something!

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Do As I Say...

No, I'm not trying to hypnotize you. I'm talking about that old expression, "Do as I say, not as I do." What's making me think of that? Glad you asked. Politicians!

The last couple of months I've been reading how one political party wants to bring back the Fairness Doctrine. Say they want to make sure both sides of the story are available to contradict the Rush Limbaughs of the world. They talk about ideals such as freedom of speech. But, I suspect that's not really their agenda.

When people attended the tea parties several weeks ago, some people who lean left talked about how un-American it was to protest taxes. Excuse me? People have a right to express their political beliefs as long as they "peaceably" assemble. (See the First Amendment if you don't believe me) I even heard several people say the protesters were racists because they were not for President Obama's agenda. Sad to see people have stooped to that accusation. Are there people against President Obama because of the color of his skin? I'd be an idiot to say no. Is everyone who does not agree with him a racist? Absolutely not. Political discourse is one of many things which make our country great. This country was founded by people who protested about things they did not agree with. When people resort to name-calling, that usually means they cannot defend their position with facts. There are a lot of facts which can be used without having to resort to calling people names. Do not agree with many of them, but they are there.

Today I read about Al Gore testifying before Congress on global warming. Also read the majority party would not let someone with a contrasting opinion offer his testimony. It's pretty sad they talk about bringing back the Fairness Doctrine so people can get both sides of the story, but they only want to allow both sides when it suits them.

Before my liberal-leaning friends start protesting, I would like to point out the party that leans right is just as guilty. Case in point, anyone who opposed them in recent years was un-American and threatening national security. That argument was just as bogus. And, that's just one example that comes to mind.

My point is, everyone is for freedom of speech. The caveat is they only support freedom for the speeches which support them. And, that, my friends, is what I call un-American. Thomas Jefferson must be shaking his head somewhere.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment