What It's About

Welcome to my blog! I ruminate on random thoughts rattling around in my brain. Subjects range from reality TV to current events and everything in between. Whether you agree with me or not, I welcome your comments. God gave you the ability to think for yourself, and this country was founded based on the right to have your own opinion. Who am I to question that? Hope you enjoy! And, if you like to shop on the internet, or have always wanted to try, please feel free to click on one of the banners on the left. Do admit I get a small commission for anything you buy through the links. Appreciate it if you do decide to buy something!

Monday, March 30, 2009

I'm an Old Coot...

I realized while watching American Idol last week that I'm an old coot. Well, at least when it comes to music.

Joss Stone (whom I'd never heard of before last Thursday) was singing before Smokey Robinson came out, and I caught myself thinking, "If this is what they call music nowadays..." That's when it hit me like a 2 x 4 upside the head. BAM!!! I have become too old for most of today's so-called music!

I was home one weekend during college and was watching a history of rock on TV. Jimi Hendrix was on when the Old Man came downstairs for a snack. Being an old school country music fan, he naturally wondered what that noise was coming from the TV. I told him it was Jimi Hendrix and asked him if Hank Williams could play like that. Just as the last 't' came out of my mouth, Jimi ran the neck of his guitar down the microphone stand. Pop said, "Son, if that's what you call playing a guitar, then the answer is no."

I often think something to that effect when I watch American Idol. Not even sure why I watch the show. Well, I know why. Like most people, I want to hear what Simon has to say about the performances. I also want to hear those occasional performances that make you want to jump around like Paula. I really enjoyed David Cook's "Billy Jean" but just didn't get David Archuletta's "Imagine" nor Blake Lewis' "You Give Love a Bad Name," two songs most people went nuts over.

To me, original music pretty much died in the late 80's. There have been a few good bands come along since then (Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, and a few others) but not many. Seems like the way new "talent" looks and dances is more important than their musical abilities in today's music industry. With the exception of the old school bands, today's new music all sounds pretty much the same to me. But, my parent's generation probably said the same thing in the 60's and 70's, and their parents before that, and their parents before that. Guess that's just the circle of life.

But, I'll keep watching American Idol. I'm rooting for Allison this year. Have even voted for her a couple times. Never voted for anyone before. Haven't ever bought any of the songs before, either. Who knows? Maybe that will happen this year, too. Then again, probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment